CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome Friends!

Happy Fall Y'all!

Monday, February 2, 2009

Pink and prayer

If you need a church, I know of a good one. There is no way to put into words how I felt yesterday at church. The cards, the hugs, the gifts, the offers to help, the promises to pray. That was all quite enough to boost my spirits, but then to look around and see all those dressed in pink and wearing the prayer bracelets with my name on them-WOW! I have never felt so loved and just so "bathed in prayer" in my entire life. There is no way to explain this experience. Breast cancer has given me the chance to know the Lord better, to grow closer to my friends, to make new friends and to appreciate my family. It is clear to me that your prayer is what is keeping me together. I want you all to know that I appreciate all you have done for me and for what you will be doing for me in the future. You are such a blessing to me and my family. I have been thinking about what an impression this must be making on my children and I feel sure this will be a memorable time in their lives for the good care and amazing love we have felt from all of you.

I have to be at the hospital at 9in the morning. the mastectomies should begin at 11 and then the hysterectomy will be after that. The surgeries should take about 3 hours and then I'll be in recovery a couple of hours. I should be able to come home by Friday. The thing I am stressing about most is pain. I just remember standing up for the first time after my c section and it was treacherous. My stomach will be so sore and my arms will both be too, I guess, So how will I even be able to get up.
My wonderful mother-in-law is here and she'll be taking care of things with the kids and the house and food. Pete will be with me at the hospital. Please pray for Allison. She was crying a lot at bedtime tonight and asking a lot of questions. She has a substitute teacher at school this week which has her school security system messed up and she's worried about me. I was doing well talking with her until she started crying and saying she hadn't been a good daughter and how she was sorry. I can't even begin to tell you what a blessing that girl is to me. She is God's girl and He has something big planned for her,too. There is not another child like her on the planet. Today at the grocery store I could see her looking at the lady in the wheelchair in line behind us. I knew what she was thinking and when she looked at me I just nodded. She asked the lady if she could help her with her groceries. I know everybody thinks their kids are wonderful and super talented. But really, just wait. And Zoey is my middle child who is already basking in her Nana'a attention. She had her full attention tonight and I've never seen her take so long to do her homework because her Nana was right there with her. The little man has been just wild. He's jacked up on candy and no nap yesterday and he has been into everything today. Anyway, not sure why I chose tonight to try to tell you about the kids, but I am just hoping you will remember to pray for them too. And for Pete trying to be there for me and for Sharon as she holds down the fort. Also remember my mom and dad. Dad's pneumonia is still there so they didn't do the test today. He goes for a Ct scan in the morning so please remember them.

I just want ya'll to know that I really am okay. I am really nervous and I didn't get to do all that I wanted to around the house and I didn't get to call everyone I wanted to call. But I love all of you and I am just looking forward to a better day. I am just thinking so much about how God says he'll never leave us or forsake us and that the Lord is my helper and I shall not fear and that His strength is made perfect in my weakness and be strong and of good courage and for God so loved the world and I am complete in Him and oh all the many verses that comfort me and I hope comfort you in your time of need. There is so much I want to say to you. Please leave a comment here for me. Pete will have the laptop at the hospital and will be keeping up my blog. So if you want to leave a comment go to the comment line, type your message in the box, type the crazy word you see in the box, then hit anonymous and publish or submit. I would love to hear from you. I really wanted to write some profound things tonight that would be so inspirational and thought-provoking or at least something funny. Some of this is so random it doesn't even make sense. I took out half of it because I was afraid you'd think I'd gone mad, but I love you and I appreciate you and I hope to see you soon.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fern,

I can only say I love you, and I'm so glad that you know God loves you more than any of us humans (who are just made of dirt)can--even though we love you bunches! Bask in His love; though we don't understand, He truly is in control. I promise you my prayers.

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Alisa
you do have such wonderful children. they are a joy to be around. I know your mind has to be going in a thousand different directions, but everythig is going to work out alright. It may seem like your world is upside down inside out and all crazy but, God does know what he is doing. I don't know why but he does. you just take care of yourself and get well. We will all make sure everything with the children is OK. I'm sure both the grands will spoil them rotten.
I will be praying for you all tonight and tomorrow. just remember God is in control He never give us any more than we can handle. He is our strength, our refuge, our shelter in the time of storm.
If you need anything please call or have Pete to. I will not call you tomorrow I will just read your blog but if you need anything CALL.
Love ya,
Pat

PS
i think I'm rambling on too.

5 Boys And Me said...

Hey - I know you are so nervous about tomorrow, I am nervous for you, but I just know everything is going to go smoothly and you will recover quickly. I know what you're saying about the c-section, I seriously thought I might die of pain - but supposedly a 2nd or 3rd c-section isn't nearly as bad as the first, so maybe this will be that way too. I hope so! Sugar does quite a bit for pain too - don't forget that! I will anxiously await Pete's updates tomorrow - if he is emailing anything out, please ask him to include my email, rossfamilyof5@aim.com, otherwise, I will check here. Wishing I could be there, please know I am there in spirit and you are here in my thoughts and prayers.....I LOVE YOU!!!

Marty

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you and yours - I love you - Aunt Sharon

Anonymous said...

Girl this is going to be the first one you read so I want to say I love you and your family very much .Your kids are great and Pete is just a great man, if it wasn't for Mr.Fred he would be the best but he can come just after Fred.JUST JOKING!!!We are praying for all of you and you mom,Dad and Sharon also because she has a big job also.People are emailing me and ringing my phone of about food your family will never eat this good good again. I know our God will be with you and the team working on you tomorrow because he is a big God and can do all things.We love you and may God give you a fast recovery.Love FMJ

Anonymous said...

I love to read your blog first thing in the morning. It encourages me to keep my focus on the Lord and all his many blessings. Know that you will be covered in prayer during surgery and recovery.
We love you and are praying for each and every one of you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is Jake! I'm praying for you and I'm eating 10 doughnut holes over the line for you!!! Love you.

Anonymous said...

You don't have to come up with profound or thought provoking words when you live a life that causes others to strive to follow your example. Young and old alike! For the past month, I have heard on numerous occasions "...I don't know how she does it....She has such great faith...Pete is so strong...How do they do it?" And you have witnessed over and over how the Lord has given you the strength to walk on in spite of what ever comes your way. Words aren't that important...your life shouts out how Great your God is. Plus you don't realize how awesome your words are on this blog. We look forward to reading it and need a quick recovery so you can get back at it. We are believing that our God will hear and answer prayer for a complete...chemo free...recovery! As well as an abundance of Morphine...just take your drugs and things will be all right. We have Twizzlers and the Superbowl DVD when you are ready!!!!Love Ya Lots!

Anonymous said...

Dear Alisa ,
This AM, after reading your blog & wiping my tears, I set out to do my morning meditation. Today's meditation was based on Isaiah 40:28-31. I had 1st journaled to God reminding him of your surgery (just for me because I know he's very much aware & prepared to be with you and the family). I thought God was sending me a message as I read the devotion that was written with the passage & felt I should share some of it with you and Pete.

"The fact that God's word said that "Even youths grow tired & weary" told me that God was aware of my struggle. God knew the pain I was suffering... Even if I didn't understand how, God was present & would help me. A glimmer of hope from Isaiah's ancient words penetrated all the pain that surrounded me. I received Isaiah's passionate proclamation that our "Lord is the everlasting God". God's help & loving relationship is available to persons of all ages. ...I can't imagine dealing with pain without knowing God. I needed the love & support of God's people as I walked through the healing process. ... I experienced the process of healing, & my spirit found freedom to soar with the eagles.
Everlasting God, thank you for reaching out to us when we stumble & fall. We are grateful for the strength you give us. Fill us with your healing spirit. Amen"
You know I needlepoint with stitch guides & guidance from fellow "stitchers" which makes my work more "paint by number" than creative art but for the most part it's pretty. Likewise I'm not very creative with words but I felt these words echoed my sentiment. - I am supportting you in my thoughts & prayers as God carries you in his loving arms.
God's Peace & Joy, Aunt Sue

Anonymous said...

Hey girlie!! Wow I had so much fun last Sunday, to bad we couldnt watch the super bowl! we know how much you love it lol. I just wanted to let you know how much I love you...you havebeen such an insperation to me, and for that I am truely graetful...greatful that you could stand to be aaround me for more than a min( Im sorry if ever drove you crazy.) I am praying for you and cant wait to see your loveing, shinning, and caring face back at church!
Love,
Joanna Deaton

Anonymous said...

I love ya' Alisa and am praying ernestly for you! You are in my constant thoughts and prayers today! Please....if there is anything I can do...don't hesitate to ask. You are a wonderful and beautiful lady with a wonderful and beautiful family. God has blessed you countlessly and I know He will continue to do so.

Much love and big (soft) hugs!!!

Angela Stansell

Anonymous said...

I'm back! :0)

This is for you Alisa!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astanse/3250516356/

Love,

Angela Stansell

Anonymous said...

You have been on my mind and in my prayers so much lately but especially today. I pray God will continue to bring you comfort and peace and his amazing grace. I love you and want you to know that I will be praying for you thoughout the day as well as the coming weeks. If you need anything all you have to do is ask.
Kelli Leigh

Anonymous said...

DEAR KNIGHT
I HOPE ALL IS GOING WELL FOR YOU THIS MORNING. JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU, ALISA AND THE CHILDREN THIS MORNING. LOVE YOU GUYS LOTS MRS. CLEAN AND FAMILY.

Anonymous said...

I am looking at my watch and it is 0930 and praying that you are doing well. I will be thinking of about all of you today. I will say a special prayer for Allison. She really is a wonderful child and I hope that she can feel that in her own heart.

I am also thinking about Pete a lot today. I remember being on his end two years ago with Dave going into surgery. His job is a tough one but I am sure he will perform with flying colors.

I remember a day when Dave was not doing very well and I had just dropped Hunter off at EPCK when you passed me in the driveway. You were so sweet and understanding. You offered to go get a cup of coffee and talk but unfortunatly I was on my way to take Dave to the doctor. I wanted you to know I remember your smile and kind words that day and it helped. Sorry I couldn't go for coffee.

Please remember that I will do anything you guys need. If you think Allison would enjoy a play date with Jordan let me know.

Praying for all of you today. Be well and be at peace.

Love

Renee

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that we prayed for you and your family today at Bible study. We are so looking forward to your return and to hear your beautiful testimony(as Ms. Dot described it).

Anonymous said...

Fern - You don't know me, but I got your blog from Pamela Lee from the Cancer Center. It is about 12:30 pm so you should still be in surgery. I just finished praying for you, your family, and all the doctors involved with your surgery. I am so glad that you know our Jesus and that you know you are in the palm of His hands. That is such peace and I'm glad you have it. I am a fourteen year breast cancer survivor. You hang in there because life just gets better add better! Especially after you have been through what you're going through. It makes you look at things differently. Just know that a fellow survivor is praying for you and that I know you are going to be fine. You can get through all of this with God's help. All you gotta do is ask! I know I did!

Hugs and prayers,

Jackie Day

Anonymous said...

Alisa, by now you are in recovery. You wake up, in pain, but then they bring the warm blankets, and literally, you feel God's love around you. It is calming, and destressing. I am really glad that aunt Sharon is there for your kids. I am sure they are baking, and playing, and making things for you. That is what she does. I am also glad that Pete is there for you to hold your hand, and say loving things. It is especially wonderful that you have a church full of family. That is truly a blessing. I miss that. I hope that your dad is feeling better and that they will be able to get over to see you soon. When you are home, and feeling a bit rested lets try and talk. until then, keep your chin up (the arms will lift up later) and always know that there are some of us out here who have never met you, but feel we know you, and love you very much. grandma f. is your own personal angel, keeping an eye on you. the rest of us are praying for you every day. cindy

Anonymous said...

I love you girl!!! I have been looking at the clock every hr-wondering what was going on with you and if Pete & the kids were OK. I can only imagine how hard this is for all of you, but you are a STRONG women and I have no dought you are going to be FINE!!! I wanted to call the hospital and check on you,but I will wait until tomorrow. I am looking forward to the spring, so we can begin our walks & talks. Allyson- I really don't know what to say about that loving child!! She is a BLESSING to us all.
Love Marylena

Anonymous said...

HEY GIRLFRIEND THIS IS RHONDA PACE I AM SO SORRY THAT I DID NOT GET TO TALK TO YOU BEFORE THE SURGERY BUT I KNEW THAT YOU WOULD BE COVERED UP WITH THINGS TO GET DONE. PLEASE KNOW THAT WE HAVE BEEN PRAYING FOR YOU. YOU AND PETE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SUCH A BLESSING TO ME & BARRY. EVER SINCE 1995 WHEN WE STARTED GOING TO MILE CREEK WE HAVE LOVED YALL. WE HAVE TALKED MANY TIMES ABOUT HOW THERE WAS JUST SOMETHING SPECIAL ABOUT THE FERNSTROMS. WE ARE SO SORRY ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE HAVING TO GO THROUGH BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT GOD HAS A PLAN. PLEASE KNOW THAT WE ARE HERE FOR YOU. I WILL BE COMING BY OR CALLING YOU LATER THIS WEEK.
WITH ALL MY LOVE
RHONDA PACE

Anonymous said...

Alisa,
I wish i could be there to help or be your medical spy to make sure they are doing everything right. I wish I could take away some of the pain you are feeling right now. Because I know that even with PCA's and epidurals, there is no such thing as "pain free' unless you are unconscious. I don't know if you got a chance to check your facebook yet, but you are in Honolulu with me. I love you. Michelle