I want to talk to you today, Dad. But it hurts too bad to cry. We've never been so great at talking anyway, you know. Neither one of us could ever handle my emotions. So right now I will just write my love in a letter to you from me for all the world to see.
Mom finally told me what you've all been keeping from me for my own good. At least until you thought I was strong enough to handle the news. She said the doctors told you you had lung cancer on the very day the doctors took my cancer away. I have been trying to wrap my mind around that thought all day. The Lord may heal me completely but take you home to glory early? Oh, Dad, how can this be?
Today was the day you found out your cancer is inoperable. Maybe so, but today is the day I found out that cancer cannot control us. Only God can. I just don't think your race is over Dad.
You're the kind of man people respect. You're the kind of man who has a lot of influence. You're the kind of man who truly tries to help people. You have always been my greatest cheerleader in life. You were the one who always just expected we'd go to college. You were the one who encouraged me to go to grad school. You were so happy when I got a job. You were so happy when I quit my job to raise my family. You love Pete and my babies so much. You have always been the wind beneath my wings. How many others have you encouraged and helped to get an education? You always knew an education would lift anybody up. Look what it did for you, a poor boy from Arkansas who lost his daddy to the war.
You have done so much for so many. I truly believe you and mom were the ones who kept the doors open at Englewood Baptist Chruch during the rough times. I'd say "Why don't ya'll leave that church" and you would always say "The Lord has a work for us to do here, we can't leave!" You are the kind of Sunday School teacher everyone needs. You study so hard and pray for your people so much.
So many people look up to you Dad. You put all you had into Gate Petroleum. You traveled a lot during the early years to help the business grow and your family to thrive. You sacrificed so much for that company and for your family.
Mike and I want to be like you. I know Mike wants to just be with you all the time and soak up your knowledge and study who you are. He just wants to hear you say you're proud of him.
Tomorrow's your first radiation treatment. Really, it's the first day of the rest of your life. There's so much more to be done in this race, Dad. You have many more people who need your help. There are many more Sunday School lessons to be taught. There are so many who need your wise counsel. And I need you to keep cheering me on. I believe God will give you many more days and I'm going to ask Him to give us years. Cancer cannot control us, right? Let's get up in the morning, put on our running shoes and continue on. I want to be there beside you cheering for you, helping you, encouraging you and so very proud of you.
13 comments:
AMEN!!!
Susan Rowland
I WAS SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR DAD. WE ARE PRAYING FOR HIM. AFTER ALL, YOU KNOW FIRST HAND
GOD ANSWERS PRAYER.
LOVE
PAT
Oh Alisa. This must be terrible news for you. I'm so sorry to hear this. I will continue to pray for you and your Dad. I love you so much and I know that God loves you more than anyone. He hears our prayers and will answer them in the time and manner that He sees fit. We just have to learn and remember to trust that He knows best and He knows exactly what He's doing even when we don't understand at all. Just remember this...
Psalm 34:19
"Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all."
I love you and if there's anything at all I can do just let me know. So many of my thoughts and prayers are going out to you now.
Sent with much love in Christ,
Ashley
Alisa,
Kenneth and I are pray for you and your dad, and mama. This news makes us so sad.
God is still in control and you know that he is able.
We love Girl
Love
The Stephens
Alisa so sorry that in your own battle you are having to face this.But you an your dad are stong in your faith so I know you can run this race together. Please tell your mom an dad we are praying for them right around with praying for your recover now you have to fight harder because your mom needs you well. Love you FMJ
I saw your folks at Mayo Clinic while we wait for Uncle Gaige to go through his tests. I reminded that in 1994, after the bone marrow transplant a year later chemo again, & a third time cancer back the doctors in Lexington gave him only 5 years to live. But once again, God is great and only God is in control. Yes we run the race and God decides when the race takes the turn toward greater glory. He and you, are in our prayers.
Love, Peace & Joy - Aunt Sue
'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better. Concentrate on this sentence... 'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'
Alisa,
I thought the above was too good not to pass along.
Praying for you and your family!
Love,
Paula P
Alisa - I thought about your Dad all night - I am so, so sorry you have to go through this and your Mom and your Dad and Mike too. I know your family is strong, faithful and will get through this. It doesn't always make sense why things happen, we just have to trust there is a reason, even if we cannot find one at the time. I feel good about your Dad getting through this - he knows you need him and he will fight for himself and for you. Please know we are praying for him and for your whole family.
God is certainly in control! His plan is to prosper you in ways you can not fathom. I will continue to be in prayer for you and your family and especially your dad and mom. Love ya, Cynde
What a wonderful glimpse into your father's life. He sounds like such a wonderful and Godly man! My prayers are with him and you and your entire family, Alisa! Keep your chin up and your thoughts on Jesus. Stay strong!
Much love and big soft hugs,
Angela Stansell
Jeremiah 32:27
Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?
Nope! Nothing is too hard for our God to handle...and you my friend are amazing! I loved your letter to Dad. So many daughters never have the opportunity to say how much they love their Dads. Thanks for sharing your love for this man! Sounds strange but you are kinda like Moses right now. He knew the Lord, walked and talked with Him...kneeled before Him...but never looked at Him and couldn't see what was waiting ahead. God sheltered Moses in the cleft of a rock and allowed him to see His Glory but only from behind as He passed by. All you can see right now is what is behind you...the things the Lord has already brought you through. I am so thankful God miraculously brought you through the storms of the past couple of months! Now your faith is stronger and will help you walk thru this with your Dad! We are praying for your family and are here if you need us!
Lisa,
I am so proud that you have such great faith, and love for God. It is that, which will help you all through these hard times.
Everything you said is so true. I too tried to do many things on my own, but it is just not possible. We have to put our all in God's hands, and let Him have His will. He is the one in control, and we just have to believe and have faith in that. Everything happens for a reason. We don't understand and can't see reason in the, but He has plans for us.
I wish I lived closer to you all so that I could visit. You are all in my heart, and will be in my prayers.
Love,
Nena
I was so sorry to hear about your dad. It sounds like a wonderful man and has served both man and God well.
I can only imagine how hard it must be for both things at the same time. Stay strong in your faith and we will all continue to pray for you and your dad.
Thinking and praying for you always,
Renee
Post a Comment