CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome Friends!

Happy Fall Y'all!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Genetically speaking

So if you could find out if you had the breast cancer gene, would you want to know? How would you feel if you found out that you had the gene, but your sister didn't? If you found out you had the gene would you elect to have a bilateral mastectomy as a prevention? If you were 71 and your daughter found out she had the gene, would YOU want to be tested? If your sister had the gene, and you were her brother, would you want to be tested or would you want your daughter to be tested. If you have the gene and you can narrow down which side of the family it comes from, how do you bear the bad news? How does God feel about all this genentic testing?

Yesterday's appoinment took an hour and a half. I had so many questions about being tested for the BRCA1 gene and the BRCA 2 gene. Reality is that if it turns out I have the gene, nothing new would be done for me medically. I would be at a higher risk for pancreatic cancer(there is no screening test for pancreatic cancer) and melanoma(I already go for a yearly exam with my dermatologist). So for me, it really doesn't matter all that much. But for my children and my extended family, I am going to have it done. Because my first breast cancer diagnosis was at such a young age (25), it is likely that I have it. My children would have a 50% chance of having the BRCA gene and if they have it, it doesn't necessarily mean they will develop breast cancer.

I wonder how other people feel about this. I can't help but think of the girls having the testing done one day when they are adults and one of them having it and the other not. UGH! That just sounds terrible and they call it "survivor's guilt". I can imagine them already "Thanks, mom!"

It's all so much to think about, but I have decided that I will do it. I feel like I owe it all the females in my family. But genetically linked or not, we are all at-risk. One in eight women will be diagnosed. Over 200,000 women will develop breast cancer just this year.

You know I am not a scientific person so this is the best way I know how to explain the testing. To me it's all about the emotional aspect of it all that plagues me. This is what I've been thinking about lately. What would YOU do?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alisa
I would definitely be tested. It may turn out that you don't have it. (God Answers Prayer) As for your mom i'm not sure if I would be tested or not, unless it would help someone else in her family.
I hope you have a wonderful week.
Try not to worry.
Love ya,
Pat

Karen said...

Girl....my head is spinning after reading that! Whew! That's a LOT to think about!

I am thinking I would be tested. Probably for the same reason as you - my children.

Ms. Cynde said...

I would definitely be tested! As a matter of fact, all (6) of my father-in-law's sisters have been diagnosed or died with breast cancer. They are currently working to get the testing covered for family members. This is a stretch, but since my mom had breast cancer and it is so prevalant on my husband's side of the family, I am looking into having my girls tested. The doctors are pretty sure my mom's cancer is not of the genetic type, but she does have other issues that are genetic! Wow! It's crazy what we have to think about! But I think that the knowlege that doctors have and the wisdom defintely comes from God! Love ya! Ms.Cynde

Anonymous said...

Since my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, I would definetly have the test done and if I had it I would chose to have them things taken off faster than you could spin around. I want to have them removed now as a precaution but of course the insurance would not pay for it.
Susan Rowland

Anonymous said...

Hey Alisa!

I'm Matthew Burrell's girlfriend I didn't know if you knew me, I think your blog is great! it's so inspiring.

My grandmother died of breast cancer and many other women in my family and close to my heart have battled it! I think testing is great, since both sides of my family have battled breat cancer it may give us some insight!

I hope you have a great week, i think you're truely an inspiration!