These things might not mean much to you, but I am missing him terribly.
I loved it when I was little and fell asleep on the couch and he would carry me to my bed.
Every day, and I mean everyday, after he came in from work he'd change clothes. Kind of like Mr. Rogers. His after work attire-white t-shirt, khaki shorts/sweat pants, black work socks, dockside shoes, and robe. Then he would retire to the rocking chair on the front porch and summon mom to join him.
The morning of every trip to Arkansas he'd wake us up with "Time to rise and shine. It's time to hit the road." He measured time in sleeps. "Only two more sleeps left"
He would always try to motivate me with "I'm gonna do something nice for you." He'd say that 20 times and then one day he'd walk in with some kind of present for me.
He loved his job and really never looked forward to retirement.
We started going on vacation with Mike's family about 13 summers ago. The first two summers Pete and Mike played golf and dad would just ride along. When he finally decided to take up the game for himself, he caught the bug and played at least every Saturday for the last ten years. He was always in search of the newest putter or driver to improve his game.
Dad got upset with me the summer after my sophomore year at Clemson. He saw my grades and told me he "wasn't gonna pay good money for me to go up there and have a good time." I begged him to let me go back and changed my major to marketing as part of my plan.
I was so scared the day I called him to tell him I had loaned my car to a "friend" and he totaled it. He was disappointed, but not mad. I had to rough it for awhile without a car to learn my lesson.
He made me go to church- no excuses. One Sunday morning I told him I was sick. He said "Get dressed" I did. I said, "I'm sick." He said "Get in the car." We got into church and I yacked on the hallway wall. I said, "See, I told you I was sick."
Dad was an expert on all subjects. If I ever thought he was bluffing on a topic, I start up a heated debate with him. Sometimes to prove his point or back up his argument later, he'd find an article from the paper or a magazine and send it to me in the mail. Once he sent me this random article about the many health benefits of bananas. He ate at least two bananas a day after that and thought I should follow his lead.
He had a great knowledge of the Bible. He taught the senior men's class at church until they all died off and then taught the senior ladies and most recently a class called "New Beginnings". He was a great teacher they tell me and he truly loved his class members.
He called me "Shug" and "Sis".
After mom worked at the Piggly Wiggly to help him through college, he never wanted her to work outside the home. Mom was always there for us-helping at school, cooking us yummy meals every night, and running out to get me posterboard for my science project due the next day. (She's the best mom and I want to be just like her.)
When Mike got engaged to Suzy he told her that our family didn't know the word divorce. When Pete asked for his blessing on our engagement he told him he would be happy for us to marry, but divorce was not an option. He loved Suzy and Pete so much. I think he was happy we had found mates to put up with us!
Most of his sentences started with "Here's what you need to do."
He was a terrible snorer. If I had to stay in the same hotel room, I prayed that God would let me fall asleep before him. I can imitate him perfectly after lying awake many a night listening to him.
He loved his grandchildren. He'd lift their head to his bald head, rub it back and forth and say "Neeneenee!" and they would all laugh. Anders would say "Papa, neeneenee." He loved to hear funny things my kids would say or do and then he'd share them with people he worked with. (I heard that from many people at the funeral) He was proud of Chris and Courtney and I'm so glad they had a chance to know him well. Allison will remember him, but I doubt Zoey and Anders will.
He loved to hear me tell about how miserable I was at Outward Bound, and then he'd beam with pride when I told him how much I'd learned in those nine days in the wilderness.
He'd ask my friends a million questions when they'd come over. He'd always ask me "Who's their people?" as if we lived in a small town.
He never could accept that I had cancer. He never wanted to confront bad news. He never wanted me to lack anything. He loved me so much...
Monday, March 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Alisa,
Hold on to all those things even those small things about your dad. Take time to grieve. Love you and praying God's love will lift you up and give you comfort through the days and years to come.
Love ya,
Sandy
I AM SO GLAD THAT YOU CAN EXPRESS YOUSELF SO WELL DO THE WORDS JUST COME TO YOU WHEN YOU SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER. I LOVE HEARING ABOUT YOUR DAD. WHAT YOU WRITE ARE THE THINGS WE DO WHEN WE ALL GET TOGETHER AS A FAMILY.WE TALK ABOUT THE THINGS THAT HAPPEND WHEN WE WERE AT HOME STUFF OUR PARENTS DID AND US. THIS IS JUST A GREAT WAY TO HONOR YOUR FATHER AND HIS MEMORY. YOU WANT EVERY FORGET THESES WONDERFUL THINGS. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR WONDERFUL LIFE WITH US ALL. LOVE YOU BUNCHES CHERYL
These are some wonderful things that you will never forget. Although I never knew your Dad, as I read these things I was reminded of the many memories I have with the loved ones in my life. I think that remembering past memories with those who have gone on reminds us to make as many memories as we can with those who are still in our life before they're gone as well. I think it's funny how sometimes when something is happening we think it's the worst thing in the world, and then later on in life we look back on it and realize that it's just another great memory we can add to our list (I'm refering to your "going to church" memory). I love you, I love your family, I love your blogs, and I am continuing to remember you in my prayers each day. May God help you through each day and may the hole you have in your heart from the loss of your father be filled with all the wonderful memories you have of him. God Bless!
Alisa
He sounds like such a wonderful man. You are Soo Blessed to have him in your life. Cherish those memories sweet girl. I love you.
Pat
Alisa, it was good to see you today...even passing by. I loved reading random things about your dad. It made me miss mine so much!!! Isn't it great that we have sweet memories? Your dad sounds like a wonderful man. What a blessing that you had him!! Love, Karen Rampey
I feel like I know your dad thru that story. That was so sweet. You are alot like him. Be strong. Love ya, Susan Rowland
Alisa,
After reading this entry, I remembered coming over to your house for the first time when we were probably 13. We ate dinner with your parents, and your dad did ask me a million questions. I'm sure at the time, I thought he was "grilling" me to make sure I was good enough to be friends with his little girl. Now that I am an adult, have kids of my own, and after reading everything you have written about him, I realize now that he was genuinely interested in knowing me.
I didn't really know him, but after reading all the wonderful things you have written, I feel like I do.
Love,
Trina
This post is a BLESSING to my heart...and I never knew him.
;)
Peace,
Faith
Post a Comment