For some reason today, I have been thinking about the fact that I am a survivor. It doesn't seem like that could even be in my job description. The first time I was diagnosed with breast cancer I was 25. At the time, I was too busy living for myself, doing some things that really hurt people, and not really caring that I had given my heart to the Lord 10 years before. I tried to forget that, but God didn't. I was hiding from Him, trying my best to blend in with the world. I was much like a chameleon in that I took on the personality and characteristics of whomever I was around at that time. I really didn't even know who I was. I didn't really have a purpose. Only now at the ripe old age of 40 I am finally figuring it out. The first time God was trying to get me into a usable state. The second time He was just using me.
I was proudly wearing my "fight like a girl" pink ribbon t-shirt at Publix the other day and I saw a young mom glance at me twice and then to cover herself she said "I like that shirt." I thought about grabbing her and saying "Listen, girlfriend, this could be you. Do you know for sure that if you died right now that you would go to Heaven? When's the last time you had a mammogram? Is your house spotless?" As I would say to my girls, "Now, Alisa, is that an appropriate response?" Well, no, but I'm concerned y'all. I'm concerned about your heart, your health, and your house. I'm worried dear friend that you have never had a time in your life when you prayed and asked Christ into your heart, to forgive you of your sins, and save you. I would hate to think some of my closest friends may not be in Heaven someday. I'm afraid that some of you are neglecting your health. You are putting off a physical or not checking into that problem you are having. Please take care of yourself, sister. I implore you to forget whatever it is that consumes you- whether it be keeping up with the latest fashions or keeping that house spotless- and enjoy life! Seek God's will for your life and just be that girl God can use. Please, please, I beg you. These are the things that are important. It took looking death in the face-TWICE- for me to figure it out. Good grief, I still have such a long way to go, I have to ask God daily to forgive me for my mistakes and I just have to keep trying to figure out why God has "two-time breast cancer survivor" in my job description.
*********Please pray for my dad. He's in the hospital tonight. The drain they put in has clogged and his lung has filled with fluid again. The got another 2 liters off and are now monitoring him overnight. It just seems like he's had one set-back after another. Please pray that God will keep him comfortable and that the drain will work so it can be drained at home. He only has 3 more radiation treatments so I hope and pray that he can get some strength back and that his tumor has shrunk. Please pray for my brother, Mike, who has been taking dad to all his doctor appointments and his radiation treatments. Remember my mom too, that she will have the peace of mind that God is in control. Thank you so much for your concerns and your prayers.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am praying for your dad and you and your brother and mother. I know that this is hard to be so far away. Thank you so much for pouring out your thoughts to us and encouraging us in our walk with the Lord. God is in control we just have to let go and rest in that fact moment by moment. Love Ya, Ms. Cynde
GOD is STILL GOOD!!! Your Dad was a really fine person. We all loved him a lot. Anthony & Carolyn
Post a Comment