It's so nice to be here in Florida. The weather is warm, the sky is so blue, the river is so relaxing and the azaleas are in full bloom. After being at home with some pretty cold temperatures and then a few days of snow, it's nice to be where the earth seems to be singing. I've been thinking about two verses-the one about joy comes in the morning and the one about new mercies each morning. I have found those to be so real during these last few very difficult days. We fall into bed at night, emotionally drained and physically spent. We wake up in the morning, find some strength we didn't know we had, and keep going.
I am just amazed at my mom and I am SO thankful that she has such incredible faith. She is grieving, but she told me she knew God still had work for her to do so she had to go on. I know her loss is very different than mine. She was telling someone on the phone last night that not only had they been married for 51 years, but that they had grown up together, gone to school together, their families knew each other-everything! I know she must feel like she has been split in half, but she is so very strong. And that, my dear friends, is only because of Christ. You can't lose someone like that and still go on with just your own human strength. God has to step in. She was so happy with the way the funeral turned out. There as a large crowd and they were able to hear the gospel message and seeds were planted in the hearts of many that day. I felt better after the service- I gained closure and found peace. I had visions of me just crying uncontrollably, but really once it started I felt a quietness and a peace overtake me-that's the Holy spirit. Oh, the many benefits of salvation-- and, its free!
I've been thinking a lot about the way God worked this out. Me having surgery when I did and then me not being able to see dad again before he died. I should look at the as a blessing , I know. I only have images of my dad as a healthy, strong man. That's what God did for me. My brother Mike on the other hand, was here, taking dad to doctors appointments, staying with him in the hospital, taking him to radiation treatments, and helping mom. Although he did see dad's health decline rapidly and see the weight loss and the strength zapped out of him, he has the memories of the valuable time they had together in the end. I've always seen how my family shelters me like a baby-you know how they didn't tell me dad had cancer until I was healing from my surgery and mom would always have a positive report about how dad was feeling, and how they didn't tell me dad had died until I got here-well, now I see that God treats me like the baby of the family too. I don't know quite what to think about that......
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
God only gives us what we can handle. Maybe He knew it would have been too much for you to see your Dad decline...so soon after your surgery. I know how you must feel torn. I took care of my Daddy for months before he died...spoon fed him and changed him like a baby. It was heartbreaking. I think about him that way most of the time when I think of him. That is hard. God has spared you that. Be thankful. You have your beautiful memories of a healthy Dad. What a wonderful peace God gives to His children....what strength He gives us right on time. Praying for you and your mom and your time together. Love, Karen Rampey
SO OFTEN WE WANT GOD TO DO THINGS OUR WAY, IN OUR TIME! I DON'T ALWAYS UNDERSTAND WHY CIRCUMSTANCES ARE THE WAY THEY ARE, BUT I'M SURE GLAD HE DOES. YOUR PARENTS REMIND ME OF MINE. THEY ARE AS ONE. GOD'S GRACE IS GREAT AND WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY!
LOVE YA!
THE MCCOYS
WHEN WE WERE DOING OUR DAILY DEVOTIONAL THIS MORNING IT CAME FROM REVELATION 22;5 AND THERE SHALL BE NO NIGHT THERE;AND THEY NEED NO CANDLE, NEITHER LIGHT OF THE SUN;FOR THE LORD GOD GIVETH THEN LIGHT;AND SHALL REIGN FOREVER AND EVER. IT SAID IN TIMES OF GRIEF OR TIMES OF DARKNESS AND DESPAIR, IN THE NIGHT OF THE SOUL, HELP ME TO FIND CONFORT IN THE HOPE OF THAT ENERNAL MORNING WHEN GOD'S LIGHT WILL SHINE FOREVER. AND WE THAT ARE SAVED ALL KNOW THAT DAY WILL COME,DON'T WE. THE SONG JOY COMES IN THE MORNING HAS BEEN MY SONG SINCE 1998 AND I WAS IN SO MUCH PAIN ON NIGHT AND FLIPPING CANNELS I CAME UPON A PERSON SINGING JOY COMES IN THE MORNING AND I RECOREDED IT AND CARRIED IT TO MR.PERRY TO SEE IF THE CHOIR COULD SING IT. NO MATTER HOW BACK THE NIGHT IS IT ALWAYS SEENS BRIGHTER IN THE MORNING AND PEOPLE NOT SAVED SEES THIS NIGHT ALL THE TIME AND DOESN'T KNOW THAT GOD WILL BE THE LIGHT JUST LIKE HE IS FOR YOUR DAD NOW AND EVERY DAY FROM NOW ON. WE LOVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND PRAYING DAILY FOR YOU LOVE FMJ
Alisa,
I am so sorry for your loss. I truly know how you feel; I faced it once with my mother, and I am now in very difficult circumstances with my dad's health. I am hurting, so I really do empathize. I am hanging on to fact that God loves me, that when Jesus died, the veil was torn from top to bottom, and I can now enter where Jesus is! That's the anchor of my soul, and I know that it is for you, too. God bless you. I am praying for you and your family. Oh, and be SURE that your father knew exactly how you felt about him. Daddys always know.
Marilyn
JUST THINKING ABOUT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. I UNDERSTAND YOUR FRUSTRATION OF NOT GETTING TO BE WITH YOUR FATHER AND ALSO THINK HOW BLESSED WE HAVE BEEN WITH YOUR STILL BEING HERE WITH US. KEEPING US PRAYING AND STAYING IN TOUCH WITH GOD AND EACH OTHER. YOU JUST BLESS ME WITH YOUR WRITING'S EVERYDAY. I HAVE TOLD YOU GOD GAVE YOU THESES THINGS FOR THE REST OF US AND I AM SORRY YOU HAVE TO ENDURE THIS FOR US BUT JUST THINK OF WHAT GOD ENDURED FOR US BY GIVING UP HIS SON AND WATCHING HIM SUFFER. LOVE YOU BUNCHES MISS YOU CHERYL
Alisa
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dad - please know you and all of your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Reading your blog was so inspirational to me - you are truly someone special.
Take care of yourself.
Love, Emily
Post a Comment