I just got Pete and the girls headed to SC in a rental car. Anders and I are staying here in Jacksonville through the weekend. I hope I can be a comfort to mom in the next few days and prevent her from being alone in this big old house so soon.
The events of the last few days are a rolling through my head. Pete came home Thursday at noon with his briefcase and I just knew he was coming home to go to bed sick. I had been teasing him about not making any plans for the weekend because I was sure he would have the stomach virus we had. But instead he told me it was dad and to call my brother. Mike got on the phone and said things had taken a bad turn. They had drained dad's lung the night before in the hospital and had tried to unclog the drain they had put in for them to use to drain him at home. When they unclogged that drain they used some sort of vacuum and apparently that had caused him to bleed. Due to heart trouble through the years he had been on Plavix and so once he started to bleed internally there was no way to stop it. I cannot describe how my heart exploded when Mike told me this . THIS was not how it was supposed to end I remember saying. I said we would be there as soon as we could get there, but my brother said there wasn't much time. He said I could talk to him on the phone. So I tried to get it together and when he put the phone up to dad's ear and I had only a few seconds to tell him how much I loved him and what a good daddy he had been and how I would see him again one day. He told me he loved me, but that it was time. I said, "Daddy, Jesus has his arms outstretched for you and he will take you home" He said "I know." I can't remember all I said, Pete told me later that I had done well and said it all. I have thought about that SO much since then. I could never begin to tell YOU what a great dad he was, but to try to tell HIM in a few seconds was impossible. I just hope he knew. I just hope he knew....Mike got back on the phone then and we talked about what the doctors might do for dad and Mike wanted to know if I wanted them to try to keep him alive and I told him to do whatever he thought would make him most comfortable. When we heard from mom later, she said dad was sleeping, so I clung to the hope I could be there with him when he died.
I just went crazy slinging stuff and trying to pack and Pete took the dog to be boarded and to pick up the girls. Anders kept saying "Stop crying mommy." A short while later we got word that The Gate company plane was in Alabama and could come pick us up and fly us there. What a wave of relief, and a huge burden lifted. So we left Greenville at 4:00 and arrived in Jacksonville at 5:00. But when I saw my mom and brother and sister-in-law at the airport I knew I was too late. It was then that I felt my heart break, a feeling I had never known before that day. So many of you know what I'm talking about and may have felt it many times in your lives. Thankfully, the Holy Spirit has just taken over, comforting us and gently carrying us through these dark days.
11 comments:
Alisa
I have been thinking about you guys and praying for all of you to find comfort in the tough days ahead. I am so glad you are able to stay with your mom-Anders will bring joy and laughter to both you and your mom. I hope you are keeping yourself healthly threw all of this. Please call when you get home and if Pete needs help with the girls have him call me!!
Love Marylena
Alisa - This reminds me so much of when Scott died and my Mom met my Dad in the parking lot outside the hospital and he knew - he just threw himself on the pavement in the middle of the lot and just knew.....So, so hard, but the fact that you got to talk to him and tell him goodbye is both amazing and hard all at the same time. I know it made him feel better and hopefully it will eventually make you feel better. I have no doubt you said everything that needed to be said and more. My heart aches for all of you - I have thought often of your Mom being alone in that house and it will be so hard. I am so glad you are able to stay a while with her and that Mike is there for her. Thinking of you every minute and I'll be thinking of Pete and the girls as they travel back to SC also....all our love...
Alisa,
I am so sorry. I cannot imagine the pain you are feeling. I will continue to pray for you and your entire family. Please know that I will be readily available for the girls when they return to school if/when they need to talk. We will do all we can to make school a happy place for Allison and Zoey. Love,
Pat Jones
Alisa as I read your blog tonight my heart breaks all over again. I'm crying with you. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through and won't even try. I am sending a big hug to you right now (maybe Anders will be the one to deliver it...I have a great imagination!). There are so many praying for you so just take one moment at a time. Love ya, Ms. Cynde
Alisa my heart just feels so broken for you an your family. Tell your mom and Mike they are in Fred an ours prays.we will be praying for Pete an the girls also. Let him know when you talk to him If he needs something give me a call. I can't do housework but will be glad to go and do laudry. I done Tony and Paige's yesterday,he was working and she is on 10 hours so if I can go do that I will be glad too.I am so glad you were able to stay a few more days to have some time with your mom we had prayed for that to happen. All I can say we pray for you daily an pray God give you all grace.Love FMJ
Just take care of your mom and know that your dad is looking down on you and saying "Well done my baby girl."
Love ya, Susan Rowland
Dear Alisa,
I can't imagine your pain now.Only our Amazing God can comfort you. A year of 'firsts' without him is ahead. May God be with you and your mom during all the holidays and other days ahead and show His grace new every morning to you all. We love you all and will continue to pray for you. Love Amy
Alisa, I know what you mean about a broken heart. Right now, you feel like you will feel this way forever...that it will always hurt this much. The hurt never goes away, it just gets easier to bear. God is our strength and our comfort and peace. After almost 11years, something or someone can remind me of my Daddy and my heart hurts all over again. Every time I see a dogwood tree or azaela bloom, I think of the day he died. It was a beautful, sunny spring day with everything alive and blooming....not a day for death. It didn't seem right. But....it was right. It was a new life in a new body for my Dad! He was rejoicing with Jesus that day!! That's what your Dad is doing. You can be comforted to know he is with his Lord and you will see him again. Love, Karen Rampey
DEAR ALISA
I DON'T KNOW THE PAIN OF LOSEING A PARENT BUT I DO KNOW THE PAIN OF LOSING A CHILD ONLY GOD, GOOD FRIENDS AND TIME CAN HELP YOU HEAL. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ATTUTIDE BUT THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT ANY EASIER. WE ARE SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS I KNOW WORDS CANNOT HELP MUCH BUT JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOUR FAMILY AND THINKING OF YOU DAILY. WHEN YOU GET HOME WE WILL GET TOGETHER FOR A EATING, CRYING OR ANYTHING YOU WANT TO DO. LOVE YOU ALL LOTS JOHN CHERYL, AND MITCH
Alisa
I don't have any words to comfort you. If I could take away the pain I would. But God (isn't that two of the best words) can do anything. ( and so can you through him) He can comfort you. He can give you peace. He can ease the pain and hurts. It will get better with time. Just rest in the fact that you know he is with God and although he would love to be here with all of you, he is in the best place there is.
Please call me if you need help with anything. We are praying for you and your family.
Love ya,
Pat
Alisa,
I agree with Amy and Karen Rampey. The first year is hard because every holiday or special event that comes along you have to "celebrate" without your loved one but then you make it through and it does get easier and there will be times when the feeling of loss will be just as great as in the beginning. Just imagine how hard it would be if you didn't have the peace in knowing that your dad is in a better place. I pray that you and your family will be able to get through the hard times as quickly as possible and be able to surround yourselves with all the good memories made through the years.
Love,
Kathy G
Post a Comment