So after I found that lump in my breast 15 years ago, I asked God for a miracle. I prayed that if he would take it away and let it not be there when they went in to operate, that I would tell the whole world what He had done. But He knew my heart and He knew that cancer was what I needed- not a miracle. He knew I needed to go down that road at that time.
So fast forward a year and a few months later to when Pete and I had just started dating. He had a job, I was teaching, he had shingles and I had this unusual heart thing going on. So I went to the doctor and had either an EKG or an EEG, I don't remember. The test took awhile and they called me back in a few days with the results. The doctor had bad news. He said I had been born with a hole in my heart. He showed me and Pete there on the screen how a hole in between the lower chambers of my heart was causing blood to flow through at that spot. In complete shock we sat and watched how my heart would beat and blood would flow back and forth through that hole. He said I would need open heart surgery to repair it. (Let that sink in for a sec before you read on)
The next step would be an esophogeal which was a camera down the throat. He said he needed to look at my heart and see exactly the location and size of the hole before they could plan my operation. So here we were, Pete was a new Christian, I was just barely on the other side of my valley with cancer and getting closer to the Lord. "How could this be? Why me again, LORD?" I cried in my baby Christain voice. The test took longer than they told us it would. Pete waited and waited and I had a hose down my throat for like 155 hours. The doctor finally explained to us the delay. He had looked and looked and looked.
HE had looked my heart over and could not find a hole.
That's my miracle. Tell me about yours.
Search me, O God and know my heart. Psalm 139:23
8 comments:
Hey,
When I saw the title of your blog today, I assumed you would proceed to tell of the miracle of your first recovery, meeting Pete, marriage and your beautiful children. I never knew about the heart condition. That is miracle too.
Your Faith is so strong. I am trying to follow the example you are setting as I face the struggles of everyday life. They seem very insignificant compared to yours, yet I feel confident that everything is going to be alright with you.
I really enjoy the blog.
I am still praying for you all.
love,
the 3rd little pig,
Lori
Sorry to hear about Pete's grandmother. It's a blessing to know where she is and that she is in the presence of the Lord. We felt the same when Mike lost his dad in Oct.
We are praying for you and your family. If there's anything we can do for you just let us know. I'm sure Mike could entertain the kids with some Gamecock footage or something if you need a break.
We love you all.
Mollie
Just take a look at this site http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/treyanderson/
You'll have to go back and read from the beginning but my little nephew Trey is my miracle! I've never learned more about God's faithfulness and plan than during that time in my life.
Much love,
Lori
hey girl'
i am all into reading your blog-i can't beleive you never told me that story during one of our walks ( i thought we had told eachother just about everything-what else are you holding back?) i guess we will just have to pick back up for a few weeks, so i hear some more. most people would give up after all that your poor body and mind has been threw and is going threw right now, but not you GIRL!!!! i new i made an OLDER friend for a reason- to look up to. HA HA HA
BY THE WAY FOUND YOU A W/C WITH 02 TANK FOR ME. please tell pete and the kids that i am sorry to here about there grandmother. talk to you soon
love marylena
When Camryn was 8 months old I went to put her in her walker. She was so excited about getting in to it that she tried to jump out of my arms. To keep her from landing on her head....I grabbed the first place I could get hold of which was around her belly. I grabbed her hard, which I knew hurt her because she was a heavy little butterball, and she whimpered a little but then she was good to go. A few hours later as I sat nursing her I reached down to rub her tummy and felt a huge, hard mass that I had never felt before. As a nurse..my adrenaline soared! I immediately called the pediatrician and made an appointment. When we got to the doctors office ....Dr. Levitt examed Camryn and walked out of the room. I sat there, and I sat there, and I sat there, scared out of my mind. Finally, when I could wait no longer I opened the door and found Dr. Levitt crying uncontrollably. I knew then that it was serious and I nearly passed out. She apologized profusely for behaving like that and sent Camryn immediately to the hospital for an x-ray. The radiologist viewed the films and thought that it was an ovarian cyst and they referred us to a wonderful pediatric surgeon (Dr. Abrahms). After Dr. Abrahms exam....he concurred and also thought that it was an ovarian cyst and reassured us that this mass "had as much chance of being something serious...as a wooden hobby horse would have making manure". Surgery day came, and let me tell you there is nothing harder in this world than to hand over your baby to a nurse to carry into an operating room.....not knowing what the outcome may be. You are no longer in control of your child's life. I just collapsed on to the floor outside the operating room and cried hysterically. Fast forward through that... we were asked to wait in Camryn's hospital room and were told the doctor would call and let us know how the surgery went. I sat there unmoving and in a trance waiting for the phone to ring. My husband, mother, father, in-laws, and preacher were all there when the doctor called and told me he was very sorry but Camryn had a large tumor on her abdominal aorta and it was cancer.....neuroblastoma. (I'm crying as I write this) When I heard the news I'm sure everyone else in the room knew from the look on my face and my tone that it was bad. After that I completely lost it and remember screaming NOOOOOOOO!!!! Later that day after Camryn came out of recovery and was back in her hospital room, the oncology doctor, Dr. Stroud came in. He told me that when I had grabbed Camryn around the belly that I had caused bleeding around the tumor which made it noticeble. He said if that had not happened that the tumor probably would not have been spotted until she was 3 or 4 and that by then it could have been too late. He then asked us if we were ready for our roller coaster ride and then proceeded to tell us that with the tumor removal....Camryn was cured. WHAT?! HUH?! I can't adequately describe the emotions I felt. Brett and I got the worst news and the best news of our lives that day. Camryn didn't ever have to have chemo or radiation because the tumor was encapsulated BUT we were told that when the tumor was removed that some of the contents were spilled back into the abdominal cavity and could cause regrowth of the cancer. Camryn did have to undergo a battery of tests. CT's, MRI's, bone scans, blood work, ultrasounds. ( FYI, her tumor and blood samples from all three of us were sent to St. Jude's Children Hospital for research...I am a staunch supporter of St. Jude's.) Most of these test were done every 6 months until December 2007. A few days before Camryn's 5th birthday we went in for her biannual check up and found out that the tumor's were back (remember the spilled contents of the first tumor). She went in for surgery, again with Dr. Abrahms. During the surgery he found that the tumors were back in the exact same place as before (they had to be peeled off her abdominal aorta, AGAIN). He was convinced that the tumors were cancerous and sent them to the pathologist for a stat read while he held her on the operating table because he was sure he was going to have to place a chemo port in her chest. The pathologist called and said the tumors were benign.....Ganglioneuromas. Dr. Abrahms cried as he sat there and told us this after the surgery. I told him thank you, PROFUSELY, and said that God really had his hand in this and he said "NO! God had his finger on it pointing directly at it!" Camryn technically has been cancer free for 9 years now and was finally released by her oncology doctors in December 2007. While this is wonderful...it is also a little scary. Camryn is our miracle child....you see,we tried for 5 years to get pregnant with her and finally conceived with the help of Clomid and artificial insemination, then Camryn was healed by God's hand twice. Camryn is my walking, talking miracle daughter! I never talk about this and very few people know the details of all that happened because it is so hard for me to talk about. I wanted to share this with you Alisa and everyone who reads this. I felt like God told me it was time for me to let go of it.
Hey
I dont remember ever hearing this story before. You are a walking miracle. YOur writing is wonderful. You may be the next Beth Moore.
Love ya,
Bullfrog
Thanks for letting us know exactly what is going on. I know the surgery was a hard decision to make. You are blessed not only with a beautiful family and supportive friends, but miracles. I truly believe that a positive attitude goes such a very long way when it comes to healing. I'm here-whatever you need. You are in my prayers....Debbie
Alisa,
What an incredible story!! GOD IS SO GOOD TO US, in so many ways, that we don't even deserve. You are such a "BLESSING". Kenneth and I enjoyed spending time with you and Pete last night. You guys are great friends!! I hope you have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW. We are praying for you, and always here for you if you need us. I will be in touch with you on tuesday, call me if you need anything. I LOVE YOU GIRL!! YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE IN OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ALWAYS.
PS: GOD IS IN CONTROL. HE WILL TAKE CARE OF US.
LOTS OF LOVE
NIK
Post a Comment