CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome Friends!

Happy Fall Y'all!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What's your mission field?

My friend Tina got the job I wanted. I wanted God to call my family to be missionaries. I wanted to go to another land to tell them about Jesus. But that was not, or should I say so far it is not, what He has planned for my little family. But, even though He hasn't called us to foreign missions, I still have a mission field here at home. I don't have to leave my neighborhood to find people who need the Lord. The Knight goes to his mission field from 8 to 5 every day. My friend Pam's mission field is as a nurse at the cancer center sharing God's love with those who have cancer. Her patient Marty has that same mission field only his platform is as a witness to God's faithfulness through his cancer battle. I've been thinking about my mission field for several days now. I've also been thinking about a story I heard about Tim Tebow, the quarterback for the Florida Gators.

I'm not really into football. But my brother and his wife and her family are huge Gator fans. My niece and nephew are too and they have been particularly interested in Tim Tebow of late and have had the opportunity to hear him speak two times. Turns out he is just the kind of role model I am happy for them to have.
Tim Tebow was born in the Philippines where his parents were serving as missionaries. He is considered by some to be a miracle baby because his mother had an amoeba infection and her doctors suggested she abort him. But God had a plan for Tim even before day 1. He is a very gifted football player and has done very well at the University of Florida. He has taken a stand for the Lord there among his players, his fellow students and millions of fans. Even though he holds several records and a Heisman trophy, he says that football is number 4 on his priority list for his life. First is his relationship with Jesus Christ, second, his family, and his education is third. He has proudly claimed his life verse Philippians 4:13"I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me" as part of his uniform(he wears it written under his eyes) and also when he signs his autograph. But a day before the national championship game God touched his heart about changing his verse to John 3:16. He mentioned it to several people and everyone told him not to change it. Only his parents supported the idea. He played the championship game with John 3:16 on his eye liner-"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life." Here's the part I cannot believe----during and after that game, John 3:16 was googled 93 million times!!! That was a record number of hits. I asked Suzy's dad to send me the article because I could not believe it. I guess I'm shocked for two reasons. First, I cannot believe that so many people didn't know what that verse said. And second, that they cared enough or were curious enough to look it up on the Internet. So when the time came for him to decide whether he would go on to the NFL or continue one more year with the Gators he decided he had 93 million reasons to continue his work. There is no need for him to leave the good old USA to touch the lives of millions. He is not afraid to share his faith and love of Jesus Christ to a bunch of grizzly football players. He is not ashamed to use his body as a billboard to proclaim God's word. I am very impressed and proud that this is the guy my niece and nephew are looking up to and hopefully will pattern their lives after. Maybe 93 million other people will too.

So, my question to you is- What's your mission field?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My suitemate Sara Lynn is totally obsessed with Tim Tebow. She says she's going to marry him... and the way she says it is so convincing you almost have to believe her :) I agree that he is an amazing person. I'm going to have to tell her to come read your blog. Have a great day! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Wow, amazing story!!! Especially for a football star, that you would think would have a million other things on his mind before the Lord. That's awesome. Sounds like you niece and nephew are looking in the right direction for a role model!
* My mission field at this point in my life, is teaching my children the love of Jesus. Maybe one day it will be this and even a little more, that would be exciting!
Love, Linda Knutson

Anonymous said...

Dear sweet Alisa,

I went to read your blog this morning bc it always has a way of making me feel better. When I read your blog it filled my heart overwhelmingly!

My Mission field-

Yesterday was a tragic day for me and my family. I heard that my sweet, favorite uncle was shot and killed by a man that he had took in and was helping. My uncle has lived a hard life filled with drinking and hard work. But about 10 years ago he got saved and he layed all that down and never touched it again. It had overpowered his life for years and it was gone that quick. He enjoyed going to church, listening to bluegrass and gospel music and he loved hearing his great nephew Matthew play the guitar and sing "may the circle be unbroken". He was thrilled when I named my oldest after him (Claudia Eve). Everytime she would see him he would hug her and get tears in his eyes and say "theres my little Claudette".

Yesterday a lot of family that I have never even met or seen in years came over to my parents house as they do during a tragedy of this sort. I realized right then that so many of them were not saved and didn't know my sweet Lord. It is awful that in our own families we have dozens and dozens of people dieing and going to Hell! We work with people everyday who have no clue and have never even heard the gospel. I was touched the other day at work when one of my co-workers approached me and was talking about her weekend plans which involved drinking and she instantly looked at me and said "I know you don't drink". I know that sounds crazy to some of you, but I smiled and thought, "Thank you Lord for her seeing that about me". I have never told her that, she just read that about me. I want everyone I meet to read that I love my God. I say all that to say this, I want my mission work to be to tell all my family and co-workers, all my friends, all my enemies, all the people that I come in contact with on a regular basis about God and what they are missing. Maybe God has an even bigger mission field for me and my family one day, but until then, this is where I will be, just incase you want to join?

I was praying this morning and I thought about the man that shot my uncle and I instantly was filled with warmth. Instead of wanting him to suffer for what he did, I want him to get saved so he can go to heaven and see my uncle again. I know my uncle would put Both Arms around him and say " Hey I'm so glad to see you here"!

Don't we serve an awesome God Alisa? I love you and I am so thankful that God has blessed me to have you in my life and your words in my daily routine. Thank you!

Shannon. D.

Anonymous said...

Alisa,
I immediately smiled when I saw the topic of this blog! Believe it or not, I remember well your comments from years ago that you wanted your family to be missionaries, and I have often wondered about that longing in your life. Honest. (Isn't it crazy what we remember?)

You definitely have a mission field, and I think your blogs are a tool God is using in that field. In my life I am learning that God so often gives me exactly what I want, but I don't always recognize the gift because it isn't wrapped in the traditional "box" I expect.

I pray for eyes to see from God's perspective. I'm glad you know that you are a missionary, and you know, some of your little ones may someday serve on that foreign mission field; who knows God's plans?

Love,
Marilyn