"If you're wearing those shoes I'm not going." I told her and ran into my room and slammed the door.
"Duck down when we drive by," I told my friend Christina. "I don't want anyone to see us in my mom's ugly car."
"Why can't I go? Everyone else's mom is so much cooler than mine!" I'd scream at her.
Now days it's more like-
"If you're not wearing those shoes, can I wear them?" and "Wow Mom, can I drive? Your car is sweet!" and "Gee Mom. I'm so glad you weren't like other moms."
Many things about me have changed over the years, but my mom has remained the same. She always sacrificed so much for us so that we could have the best of everything. She was always there for us to go on field trips, to bake cupcakes, to help with projects and homework. She forced me to take piano lessons, made angel wings for the church play, kept me in the latest fashions, let me rearrange my furniture, and have friends over to spent the night. She cooked delicious meals every night, made me go to church, put rollers in my hair, and braces on my teeth. She volunteered at school, spanked me around in a circle, met me at the bus stop, drove me to the skating rink, and threw out my Halloween candy. She always liked my boyfriends, never liked my clothes, always liked my friends, never liked my smart mouth. That woman prayed me through the difficult times and big decisions-college, cancer, career, husband, babies, child raising, cancer.
She spoils us terribly and came to stay when each of her grandchildren were born. She loves The Knight more that she loves me I always say and he in turn would leap tall buildings for her. She is so patient with my children, keeps a closet full of toys for them, and rides them around in the golf cart from daylight to dark. She always wants to know what we'd like her to cook for us, and always has a present or two to share. She studies her Bible faithfully and just recently has fully come to understand just how much God loves her. She's always taught in Sunday School and Children's church, VBS and nursery. She visits the sick and those in nursing homes. She donates to every charity and they call her 20 times a day. She loves to look at catalogs and buy us Christmas presents. She's never happy with her hair and cannot tolerate the wind. She loves living on the St. Johns river and going for walks on the beach. She enjoys visiting her family in Arkansas and looks forward to getting together with her mom, her brother and sister and lots of other family over there. She has a serious addiction to peanut butter and ice cream. She loves to play Rummycube with her 96 year old friend Nina.
I'm ashamed of how I treated her. When I first became a teacher I called her and apologized for my smart mouth. I never fully appreciated her until I was a mom myself and she amazes me more and more everyday. Her faith is so strong and she is so very wise. She took good care of our family, taught us right from wrong and loved us very much. Her heart broke in two when she lost the man she grew up with, raised a family with and planned to grow old with. She is amazingly strong, though, and is seeking God's will for what to do next with her life. I am so thankful for you Mom!!! I love you!
Lord, Thank you for giving me a Godly mother and for putting me in a Godly home. Please bless my mom and give her the strength she needs everyday. Help me to be more like her as we both strive to be more like you. Amen
Happy Mother's Day!
6 comments:
You must have known I hadn't had my cry for the day. Today, I had already said, "For the first time I can say I am thankful for what has happened in my life. Never thankful for losing the love of my life but for what I have learned. But I probably would never have known how very much God loves me and how much He loves you. I am thankful for what He is teaching me. Today, I realized what He wants for my life. It is to help others,exactly how I am still seeking, I know I am still to visit the sick and hurting as I was so rewarded today for. Thank you for the best Mother's Day I could receive. I love you so much!
Hi Alisa
I hope you have a wonderful Mothers day. Ithink you have a very special mother and mother in law. I will never forget what your mom said to me when we visited her at your dad's funeral. I hugged her and told her I loved her and she said, "I loved you the first time I saw you." What a sweet lady. You are blessed.
Love ya,
Pat
Happy Mother's Day to You . You Are a wonderful mom lov FMJ
What a beautiful tribute to your wonderful mother. Thank you for sharing this!!!
Claudia
Talk to your mom and enjoy her company all that you can. I miss mine so much. Mother's Day is soooo hard. I do fairly well most of the rest of the time but Mother's Day is just too painful. I know I will be able to see her again some day but that doesn't keep me from missing her. No one on Earth is like a person's mother. No matter what you do or don't do, they are always there for you to help pick up the pieces.
Kathy
Sis,
That's such a wonderful tribute to our mamma. It brought back so many memories like "Das yo mamma, she don't never change". It's true, she has not changed much over the years and that's a good thing because she has always been that constant source of comfort that we all too often took for granted. I know you love her like I do, more and more every day because I now know how to look at her with the great appreciation that she deserves and it makes me cherish her every breath. She has been the true rock in our family all these years. Though dad was the bread winner, she kept it all together with such a well thought out plan. We know where she gains her inspiration and we are well served by her example. I have always tried to model everything I do after her and dad. I often find myself asking, "what would mom do?" when the kids are fighting or the tasks seem overwhelming. She went through it all with grace and ease (0r so it seemed). What an amazing woman she is. I truly love and appreciate her more and more every day. Aren't we lucky? I love you, Brother
Post a Comment