CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome Friends!

Happy Fall Y'all!

Thursday, May 21, 2009

The waiting

I have a theory. It's my own personal theory, but I'd like to run it by you and see what you think. I believe that modern technology is so advanced and that people are so smart that it could be possible to get test results from a medical procedure in a few minutes. In other words, I believe it would be possible to take a blood sample and put it in a machine or under a microscope and give the patient his results in a matter of minutes. I believe technicians are smart enough or could be easily trained to read CT scans and MRIs and tell the patient what the scan showed immediately. But I believe God is not allowing technology to be quite that advanced right now and here is why. The waiting, which can be utterly excruciating, is when the learning takes place. The waiting is what reduces you. The waiting is the hardest part, but in my opinion it can be the most valuable part of your medical trial.
What if you went to the dermatologist and he said"That spot on your arm looks suspicious. Let me cut it off and see if it's melanoma."
Then he takes it and put under a microscope while you watch, looks it over, turns to you and says, "No, I was wrong. It's not cancerous, it's just a freckle."
You breathe a sigh of relief and meet your friend at Chick-fil-A and forget to even mention it to your spouse.
Or this scenario-you go to the obstetrician for your ultrasound and she says "Uh oh. Looks like your baby may have Downs Syndrome. You get a little teary eyed but then she takes you into another room with a transdimensional image analyzer(Pete made that machine up) performs another test and says, "No. He looks perfectly healthy. Sorry to make you worry for 5 minutes, but we had to be sure." You leave the office, say a quick prayer of thanks and stop by Babies R Us and buy another super cute sleeper on your way home. That's just not how it works though, is it? We go for a biopsy or a scan and it takes several days or even a week to get the results. Oh, but the computer is down and won't be fixed for another few days OR the doctor just won't return your call. That, I believe is part of HIS plan. Those days while you are waiting to get the test results can be the most miserable, agonizing days of your life. You leave the doctors office in tears, can't bear to eat anything, get a huge migraine headache, got to bed, can't sleep, call your friends, call the preacher, read your Bible, get down on your hands and knees and pray, beg God, bargain with God, cuss God, cry some more, think about who'll come to your funeral, imagine how everyone will react to your death, wonder who your spouse will marry, suspect the kids will like her more than you, secretly bet they'll realize too late how great you were, call your friends, read your Bible, pray, try to get on every prayer list possible, pray, and pray and pray and pray. Then on DAY 3 or 4 you realize you have been reading your Bible more than you ever have, you are finding some comforting words, you are asking God to guide you, you are asking him to forgive you, you forgive those who have hurt you over the years. Now when you cry it's not as gut-wrenching. Now when you pray the words flow freely and it's like talking to a friend. You start to name your blessings. The bitterness leaves, sleep comes, and slowly a sense of peace overcomes you. THEN- you get your test results. Good or bad, it really doesn't matter now. You have been on a journey with God. It took a few days, cause God knows we are stubborn, but you have arrived at the destination where God needed you to be while you were waiting. And everything is going to be alright.

Proverbs 3:5and 6 is a verse that I claimed while I was waiting on my test results. I said it over and over, meditated on it, memorized it and held on to it tight. May it be an encouragement to you as well, while you are waiting.

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding (Lord, I cannot imagine what is going to be the outcome here. I don't understand this at all. But I believe with all my heart that you are in control. YOU know, I do not know, what is best for me) in all thy ways acknowlege him and he shall direct thy paths. (Lord, I felt your presence today. You have taken good care of me. I know you love me even when I am wrong. Show me what it is you want me to do. Keep me in your will. Use me to bring you glory.)

Oh, and by the way, what do you think about my theory? Please feel free to share your opinion.
Remember the last time you waited?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alisa,
Did you read my mind? I know exactly how you feel, I have been waiting for a week for my MRI results and thinking all the bad stuff, when I really need to be trusting in the Lord more. I was also like this last year when I had to go through the waiting process of invitro. During that time I came across a song by Victorious Valley Girls Home called "God Gives Grace", I calimed that as my song. It talks about at our weakness God gives us more Grace and he never puts us through more than what we can handle. I ponder on that God must really thought I was strong when I lost the baby and HE really knew you were strong putting you through your trial,but then I think he knew his GRACE could get us through it.Isn't that amazing. So I now know through the waiting I need to trust in God!!

Love ya Girl,

Melissa

Janelle said...

Oh goodness Alisa, I just posted a blog on waiting. My husband and I have been waiting on the LORD to bless us with a child. The doctors say..."It isn't possible"...but my GOD says, "All things are possible" I agree totally with your theory. It's through the waiting when we get to know GOD and realize through the waiting what GOD means when he says, "My grace is sufficent for thee." We have been waiting for several years now, and I don't know when our answer will come, but I just deisre to wait no matter how difficult it is...and use this time to draw closer to the LORD! God bless you Alisa, your blogs have been a great encouragment to me!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW!!! How true!
Love Michelle XXOO

Anonymous said...

LOOKS LIKE YOU PEGGED THE WAITING JUST RIGHT. GOD PUTS US THROUGH IT TO BRING US TO HIM BECAUSE WE SEEM TO FORGET HIM TILL WE REALLY NEED HIM. THANKS FOR THE DAILY REMINDERS OF WHO AND WHAT WE SHOULD BE THANKFUL FOR AND TALKING TO. LOVE YA CHERYL