I really wanted to write a Christmas letter this year, but I just never did. Instead I sent a light-hearted picture of my children with my Christmas wishes. Mom wrote a letter though and it really touched a lot of people. I'm sure some don't understand how it is humanly possible to survive a year like we had. A lot of people cannot comprehend how someone can find God's blessings when heartache seems to be the theme. The only way it is possible is through Christ. All things are possible with Him. All obstacles can be overcome through Him. I am posting, with Mom's permission of course, a copy of her letter. It's amazing.
Merry Christmas from Florida, Arkansas and South Carolina,(That is where I’ve spent my time in 2009!)
Last night at Lisa’s church as the youth choir was singing “God Has Been So Good, I Have Been Blessed” the Holy Spirit convicted me for thinking that 2009 had been the worst year of my life. He reminded me that I had truly been blessed this year in spite of all the trials and tribulations. When I lost the love of my life, God showed me how very much he loved me through my children, my church family, the company he worked for, and all my friends and family. He even sent me a new friend to encourage me and pray for me.
God reminded me of how He has blessed and grown Lisa’s family this year as she battled breast cancer. And I learned that I had to trust Him to work that all out. Now she is cancer-free.
While I was visiting my family in Arkansas, Mom fell and broke her hip. My visit became extended from August through the end of October. God helped me realize then I was needed there and to be content in whatever state I’m in. Thankfully, Mom is doing well now and I am planning to return in January.
Cancer struck our family again in August when we learned my daughter-in-law Suzy had been diagnosed with breast cancer. As much as I wanted to be back home to support her and Mike, God assured me my place was there with Mom. Thankfully, Suzy is doing well and is cancer-free.
When Lisa decided to have reconstructive surgery, God showed me that I was to spend the month of December in South Carolina helping with the children as she recovered. I am here now and experiencing the joys of the Christmas season with my grandchildren.
So even though 2009 has brought death, sickness, and heartache, I am overwhelmed by the goodness of God, his enduring love and the abundance of his blessings. He has been a comfort in my darkest hour, my strength when I could not stand, and my guide when I could not find my way. But above all, He is the hope of a life eternal.
My prayer is that God will be as real to you this season as He has been to me all throughout this year!
In Christ’s Love,Virginia
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
He's our comfort. strength, guide, and hope. Praise God! It has to be God, nothing else could have brought you through all of this. Love ya
Thanks so much for sharing your mom's letter. What a blessing it is! Thank you for sharing your struggles, challenges, and triumphs - but, most of all, thanks for being my friend!
What a beautiful letter. Now I know where you got your gift of writing heartfelt blogs. Your mom is an amazing woman of faith. The apple doesn't fall very far from the tree. Love, Karen
Post a Comment