CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome Friends!

Happy Fall Y'all!

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Vegetable of the Day

Okay, I know you are all dying to know how the healthy lifestyle is working out. Well, as a matter of fact, I couldn't wait for the kids to go to bed so I could tell you about tonight's dinner success (read with heavy sarcasm and eye roll).
I had a busy day-
breakfast
dropped off girls at 8
home shower dress
dropped off boy at 9
grocery store
Lowe's
home, eat, phone call
workout 1 hour at Life Center
"stress" workshop 1 hour-hahahahaha-didn't need no stinking stress workshop
picked up girls
picked up boy
Sonic (slushes for kids)
piano lesson
home

Threw together a fantastic meal consisting of Greek chicken, pasta, salad, fresh fruit and the VOD-asparagus(YUM!!!) Your choice of cheese sauce or ranch. One tiny spear was all that was required. The motivation for clearing your plate-vanilla ice cream (frozen sugar free yogurt, shhh!) The meal overall was very tasty-the chicken was excellent.

So all 4 of them decided to eat the dreaded asparagus at the same time. Daddy's idea. He's as bad as the kids you know. Woody is sitting nearby, watching for a crumb to fall. Two plain, one cheese sauce, one ranch. The Knight chewed with his mouth open,but it went down. The Little man put it into his mouth and promply took it from his tongue-"Me no like dat." Allison chews, she swallows, she gags, she spits it out. Zoey chews, chews, chews, coughs, and loses it. Back on her plate. I sit, staring in utter amazement. Why is this so hard? What is the big deal? It was tiny. They had the option to drown it with a condiment of their choice. So I'm frustrated, mad, STRESSED...the next thing I know, Woody goes behind the couch and throws up.

I'm not believing this.....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Butter. Butter makes everything better, especially vegetables. Steam broccoli with melted butter and salt. Same with fresh green beans. Sauteed squash and zucchini in...you guessed it!...butter and salt. Even frozen veggies are good boiled with butter, salt and (this is the key) sugar. Frozen peas are excellent this way. Once they get the taste, you can start to ween them off the butter.
Love, Anna R

Unknown said...

It sounds like the smell alone was enough to make Woody sick! Lol I'm just kidding. Maybe he's like me... when he's sees someone else throwing up he does too :) At least Pete didn't spit his out like the kids. I know you must have been proud :) Hang in there. Maybe it will work out after they realize it's not just a phase you're going through that will soon pass. Good luck! I'll pray for God to give you strength and perseverance as you battle with veggies! Love ya! <3

Anonymous said...

At least they all tried it. At one point, we even offered to pay our kids with cold hard cash to take a bite of certain things and they still refused. So, I don't know what the answer is. What's the saying? - "You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." It's hard to give up something that tastes good. If you had started out with all vegetables and fruit and never had sweets, you wouldn't know what you were missing. I guess if there's nothing in the house but healthy foods, they will have to eat or starve. HA! HA! I haven't been able to be strong enough to take away the junk food. Like the other day, we were out of Little Debbies and Cameron kept saying that I had to go to the grocery store because we were out of food! Just keep trying and being an example and maybe they will decide if it's good enough for you, it will be for them too. I try to eat different things and those males at my house just make fun of me. All I can say is good luck and God bless your efforts.
Kathy

Lori said...

We deal with the same thing at our house. Alex is the best at gagging and having to spit out any item which he does not like. Just keep trying is all I can say!! They've learned they have to eat whatever is on their plate (small pieces!) of whatever it might be. If they don't no dessert. They also can't watch TV or do anything fun after dinner if they complain about what we are having! I'm so mean... feeling your pain. Lori

Anonymous said...

Thank you for my "LOD" (laugh of the day!!)
I hope you have a great day & weekend!!
Kathy Holder

Anonymous said...

WELL YOU KNOW I DON'T HAVE ANY WORDS OF WISDOM BECAUSE I CAN'T GET PAST GREEN BEANS AN CABBAGE. BUT YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB TRYING I COULD HAVE HANDLED EVERYTHING YOU HAD EXCEPT THE B WORD. THAT WOULD BE A LITTLE HARD WHEN THEY ARE JUST LEARNING ABOUT VEG'S. I BEAT ALLISON IS BEGGING TO GO TO THE HENDRICKS ON SUNDAY ALREADY. DOES ALLISON SCHOOL HAVE A RELAY FOR LIFE TEAM? TANNER'S DOES AND HER ARE SELLING T SHIRTS THAT HAVE A HALF MOOM ON THE BACK WITH ALL THE DIFFERENT COLORS RIBBONS ON IT FOR ALL THE DIFFERENT CANCERS PLUS IT SAYS CAROLINA GIRLS TRAMERA AND HER LITTLE GIRL HAD THEM ON WEDERDAY NIGHT. REAF CUTE. JUST TRYING TO RAISE MONEY. hAVE YOU ALL EVER WENT TO LIBERTY TO THE RELAY FOR LIFE IN MAY. IT IS REALLY GREAT PAIGE AND HER UNCLE YOU KNOW MARTY ARE DOING THE 50's this year.Tell then when you go tio the life center today to destress you.Ha LOVE FMJ

Anonymous said...

It is hard to make your kids eat right. Eve is just like her daddy and is a picky eater!! It drives me crazy! I worried and worried about her bc she doesn't eat ANYTHING! I just drown her in vitamins and hope and pray that she got enough nutrients in her to survive for the day! I used to take her to the doctor and sit and cry bc I felt like I wasn't doing something right. I would make her try things and she must have the most sensitive gag reflex in the world bc it would come right back up EVERYTIME! To this day, she lives off of maybe 5 or 6 foods! I'm totally serious! So...it could be worse! The doctor finally told me that as long as she is getting her vitamins and drinking milk that I should stop forcing her to eat. Boy, was I glad to hear that! When I got pregnant with Jasy I prayed that she would be a healthy eater and God must have heard my prayers bc that child loves her some veggies and pretty much anything for a matter of fact!

Pete and Jason should get together sounds like, lol!

Sounds like you are putting so much effort into it and I think that's great! Keep it up, they will come around. Your menu last night sounded delicious, it made my mouth water! I'll just call you Martha Stewart!

Have a nice weekend!