CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome Friends!

Happy Fall Y'all!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Homeschooling is not for me

Because we were taking our family on a cruise in February I called my friend Karen to find out about her recent cruise. I do this a kind of research a lot. I'm like, "Oh you did that? Tell me all about it because I may be doing that too." She gave me lots of good advice and got me really excited about our cruise. The last thing she did was share a little about her oldest daughter and a little trouble she had had in math. Karen is one of those homeschool moms. Ew. How she does that I don't know. I have never been in favor of homeschooling myself. When I was a guidance counselor it was a nightmare to enroll one of those socially inept kids after they had been homeschooled. It always struck me funny that their "grades" were always A's and most of the parents wanted them to skip at least a grade or two because they were "so much smarter" than the public school kids. It also would infuriate me when a kid would get in trouble or a parent would get disgruntled with a teacher and pull them out to homeschool them. I took that personally because I thought my school was superior and those teachers were some of my best friends. Anyway, enough ranting. Not a homeschool fan. So you can imagine that my excitement over the upcoming cruise was squelched by a sick feeling in my stomach when I hung up the phone and a still small voice spoke to my heart. That voice said, "You should homeschool."

0 comments: