
"So you want to have a baby?" a voice said, obviously speaking on a cell phone.
I'm sure I scrunched my face and said, "Uhhh, yes. Yes, I do." I was very perplexed at this olderish male voice calling me unexpectedly with such an outlandish proposal.
"This is Dr. Ellison. Dr. King called me and told me all about you. He told me about your cancer and how you'd passed the five year mark and that you were ready to have yourself a baby. Hold on a second, I'm going through a light. (pause) So call my office and set up an appointment and we'll see what we can do about that."
And that was that. He was a teddy bear, a straight-to-the-point kind of doctor. And I loved him. No one had ever really offered to help me have a baby, you know. After all I'd been through with radiation and chemo, no one really knew if becoming a mom would ever be my priveledge.
But maybe two months into "trying"- It happenend! Oh my heavenly stars, what a day!
But shortly after that he was there in the ultrasound room to stroke my arm and tell me that there wasn't a heartbeat and that the baby had died at just a little over 12 weeks. He hugged me hard that day and sent me home to cry and sit on the couch in the dark for 2 days and ask God why. God didn't leave me in the dark long, and not long afterward I was pregnant again. Oh my heavenly stars- a 9 month journey of paranoia began. Dr.Ellison treated me like his first pregnant patient instead of one of thousands in 30 something years of practicing obstetrics.
I love my ob/gyn. I guess I already said that. My love for him was really confirmed when he said to me, "Even though your baby's not due until the 13th of October, let's go ahead and induce her on the 10th. "
"Is everything okay?" I asked a little alarmed.
"Oh yes, I just want to be sure that I am the one who gets to deliver her. You are a special girl and I want to deliver this special baby."
Two of the benefits of having an "old school" OB is that he didn't want me to be in pain for a second. He met me in the parking lot with an epidural-okay not really, but he suggested I go ahead and get it as soon as the anesthesiologist came by. And second he didn't even let me push. He let me labor down and then when she got close enough he just reached in and pulled her out. It was a sweet deal in so many ways.
And a special baby she was- Allison Grace was born at 11:13 pm on 10-10-2000. She weighed 8 pounds and 11 ounces. Nana and Poppy and Memaw and Papa were there to welcome her into the world. The first grandchild for the Fernstroms and the 3rd for the Levitts.
Except for for some highly unusual toes and a scratched up red face, she was a perfect baby.
Allison smiled incessantly, grew to have a delightful personality and went to anyone who wanted to hold her. Hailey, who was about 10 at the time, toted her around on her hip at church. I put a hat on her everyday even when we were just staying at home. A lady named Kathy Ann just fell out of the sky to take care of her in her home. A year later I gave up my job to stay at home and raise my family. What a gift you are.
You are a such a good helper to mom with Zoey and the Little Man. Many, many times you have helped me by keeping an eye on them, playing with them, encouraging them to try new things, and leading by example. You have such a heart for God and I know you are destined for great things. You are an over-achiever in school and strive to please your teachers. Physically you are changing everyday- more freckles from summer, a broader smile because of your braces, fabulous thick blonde hair. You are a gifted talker, a progressing piano player and friend to many. You love to play school, be in charge, watch Hannah Montana and eat ice cream. You'd love to redecorate your room, play "Heart and Soul" on the piano with me all day, and own your own cell phone.
This past year was a real drag for our family in many ways. Losing Papa was so hard....you were very brave. You took the news of my cancer and immediately decided you would help me through. Your "Welcome Home" poster is still on my bedroom door. Your dad and I are so very proud of you.
Happy 9th birthday "Munchkin!"
I'm sure I scrunched my face and said, "Uhhh, yes. Yes, I do." I was very perplexed at this olderish male voice calling me unexpectedly with such an outlandish proposal.
"This is Dr. Ellison. Dr. King called me and told me all about you. He told me about your cancer and how you'd passed the five year mark and that you were ready to have yourself a baby. Hold on a second, I'm going through a light. (pause) So call my office and set up an appointment and we'll see what we can do about that."
And that was that. He was a teddy bear, a straight-to-the-point kind of doctor. And I loved him. No one had ever really offered to help me have a baby, you know. After all I'd been through with radiation and chemo, no one really knew if becoming a mom would ever be my priveledge.
But maybe two months into "trying"- It happenend! Oh my heavenly stars, what a day!
But shortly after that he was there in the ultrasound room to stroke my arm and tell me that there wasn't a heartbeat and that the baby had died at just a little over 12 weeks. He hugged me hard that day and sent me home to cry and sit on the couch in the dark for 2 days and ask God why. God didn't leave me in the dark long, and not long afterward I was pregnant again. Oh my heavenly stars- a 9 month journey of paranoia began. Dr.Ellison treated me like his first pregnant patient instead of one of thousands in 30 something years of practicing obstetrics.
I love my ob/gyn. I guess I already said that. My love for him was really confirmed when he said to me, "Even though your baby's not due until the 13th of October, let's go ahead and induce her on the 10th. "
"Is everything okay?" I asked a little alarmed.
"Oh yes, I just want to be sure that I am the one who gets to deliver her. You are a special girl and I want to deliver this special baby."
Two of the benefits of having an "old school" OB is that he didn't want me to be in pain for a second. He met me in the parking lot with an epidural-okay not really, but he suggested I go ahead and get it as soon as the anesthesiologist came by. And second he didn't even let me push. He let me labor down and then when she got close enough he just reached in and pulled her out. It was a sweet deal in so many ways.
And a special baby she was- Allison Grace was born at 11:13 pm on 10-10-2000. She weighed 8 pounds and 11 ounces. Nana and Poppy and Memaw and Papa were there to welcome her into the world. The first grandchild for the Fernstroms and the 3rd for the Levitts.
Except for for some highly unusual toes and a scratched up red face, she was a perfect baby.
Allison smiled incessantly, grew to have a delightful personality and went to anyone who wanted to hold her. Hailey, who was about 10 at the time, toted her around on her hip at church. I put a hat on her everyday even when we were just staying at home. A lady named Kathy Ann just fell out of the sky to take care of her in her home. A year later I gave up my job to stay at home and raise my family. What a gift you are.
You are a such a good helper to mom with Zoey and the Little Man. Many, many times you have helped me by keeping an eye on them, playing with them, encouraging them to try new things, and leading by example. You have such a heart for God and I know you are destined for great things. You are an over-achiever in school and strive to please your teachers. Physically you are changing everyday- more freckles from summer, a broader smile because of your braces, fabulous thick blonde hair. You are a gifted talker, a progressing piano player and friend to many. You love to play school, be in charge, watch Hannah Montana and eat ice cream. You'd love to redecorate your room, play "Heart and Soul" on the piano with me all day, and own your own cell phone.
This past year was a real drag for our family in many ways. Losing Papa was so hard....you were very brave. You took the news of my cancer and immediately decided you would help me through. Your "Welcome Home" poster is still on my bedroom door. Your dad and I are so very proud of you.
Happy 9th birthday "Munchkin!"
2 comments:
Allison
You are a very special little girl. I know God has big plans for you. Hope you had a happy birthday.
Love
Ms. Pat
What a sweet blog!! Happy Birthday to Allison!
Post a Comment