Serving the Lord is such an adventure! I know there were times in my life when I thought I was in control and I thought I was happy, But now, more than twenty years later, I know that true happiness comes when you GIVE UP control of your life. And that's where the adventure comes in. If you would have told me a year ago that I would be home schooling my kids I would have laughed in your face. But here I am, joining the ranks of the people I have always thought were nuts.
It's funny to me to read peoples reactions when they hear of our plans. I want to tell them the whole story of how it all came about. Partly to give glory to God and highlight how He works in the lives of his children, but also to make myself seem less insane. Sometimes I get that vibe from moms reminiscent of the bottle vs. breast or working mom vs. stay-at-home mom debate and that bothers me. I remember when I realized breast feeding wasn't going to happen for me with Allison. For awhile when someone asked me or when I saw a breastfeeding mom, I'd sort of feel a little guilty like I couldn't provide everything I wanted to for my child. And then there were times the tables would turn and I'd meet a working mom who seemed to feel like she had to offer me an explanation as to why she wasn't a stay-at-home mom. I guess its mom-guilt or something. When I get this feeling I always want to shout "This is just for our family. It's God's will for us. We loved school. For crying out loud I went to college for six years to BE a public school teacher! I am certainly not going to suggest you go off the rails on this crazy train!" So far I haven't shouted to anyone, but I've thought about it at least twice. :)
Our garage is being enclosed to become our new school room and it is very exciting. A lot of people don't use any special space other than the kitchen table, but for me, having a school room will be very important. I will need to separate myself to a certain extent from the daily chores so that we can be focused. I have no idea what it will be like, but I know that I am easily distracted by what needs to be done around the house and I want to separate those duties from my teaching duties at least for a few hours each day. I think I have talked the girls into starting school in August so that we can have more flexible time in the school year. I will post some pictures of the room transformation so I can have my own "Design on a Dime" show.
1 comments:
It sounds wonderful to me. I'm sure it will be an up and down battle, but you can do it. I have no doubt. LOL Pat
Post a Comment