CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome Friends!

Happy Fall Y'all!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Not a road block, just a detour

Thank you for helping me pray. I thought I had run into a roadblock, but God has turned it into a detour. I am amazed everyday at how God works. I have been thanking God today and laughing at the same time, because not only did He work my situation out, He did it with a sense of humor. He has reassured me of several things through this-1) God honors obedience 2)You can't outgive God. 3) He takes care of our needs and even our wants!


There's a quote I read that I cannot get out of my mind. It says "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep for what he cannot lose." As we are entering this Christmas season wrought with stuff and things and the pursuit of more, I want so much to teach my children about the fact that life isn't about "things". We have so much "stuff" we had to rent a storage unit to get our house uncluttered enough to put it on the market. Have we missed anything? Nope. I guarantee you we could fill up two more storage units and STILL not miss anything.

All of our needs have been met- a roof over our heads, food on our table, shoes on our feet. Yet I'm constantly thinking about things I want or wish I had. Clothes, jewelry, shoes, purses, etc. I love to look at catalogs and think about decorating a new house. But the reality is this- One day, perhaps not to long from now, I will stand before my Heavenly father. He will not look at me and say, "You had such stylish clothes." He will not say,"Your home was so nicely decorated." He will not say, "I love that purse." or "Didn't you enjoy those automatic doors on your Odyssey van?" Those are things. Things that we cannot keep. Things we will not take with us to Heaven. My prayer is that when I meet my Savior he will say "Good job, you had such courage to witness." Maybe He'll say "Your home was so welcoming to others." "I love that you cared for others." "My how you enjoyed living your life for ME and how you put your relationship with me before your possessions." And "Here are your rewards in Heaven!" Those are the things I cannot lose.

I need to store up as many Heavenly rewards as possible and quit my pursuit of storing up earthly things. Because really, if you can put it in a storage unit, it's just not important.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alisa
You are such an inspiration, one I can't live up to of cousre, but at least I have a goal! Brian