CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome Friends!

Happy Fall Y'all!

Friday, March 5, 2010

Just thinkin' bout Pop

I woke up this morning thinking about the last conversation I had with Dad. I only had a minute to tell him what a good daddy he had been, how much I loved him, and that I'd see him again in Heaven. Losing him has been by far the most difficult thing I've ever had to face. I miss him so much. Many times over the past year I have longed to talk to him, to get his advice or hear him laugh about the funny things the kids had said. Oftentimes he'd call to check on me in the afternoon, probably as a way to keep himself from falling asleep at his desk. I loved starting an argument with him just to have a good debate and I loved it when he was wrong about something. It's okay to say that because he loved to prove me wrong too. He had become more health conscious about his eating and had a routine of drinking a health shake in the morning, a sandwich from the convenience store for lunch and then a gigantic salad for dinner. The only snack he'd eat would be oranges and bananas. He enjoyed working, investing in the stock market, teaching the Bible, playing golf, watching the Fox News channel, sitting on the porch, and reading the paper. He could tell a great story, had a big heart, and prayed eloquently. He had an intense desire to provide for his family and a strong work ethic. He enjoyed going on trips with mom and got a thrill out of their trip to Africa. If he sensed that someone had a desire to improve their condition, he was more than willing to help. He always told us to get a good education and to take care of our teeth. He loved living on the river and liked to sit and watch a storm come in on the water. He had a way with people- developed over many years of visiting service stations and convenience stores. He knew nothing about the kitchen and once cooked a hot dog in the microwave for four minutes. He covered his bald head with a comb-over for years and would always have it shaded from the sun in a hat. He snored terribly and kept me lying awake many times in a hotel room thinking to myself "Never again!" He just gave off an air of authority and respect, yet was down to earth and easy to talk to. He played basketball in high school and graduated from the University of Arkansas. He loved his baby girl and she loved him back. My heart is sad today, but I am very sure Pop enjoyed his first year in Heaven.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry never got to know your dad. I know he had to be a wonderful person because you are. I pray today wasn't to hard of a day for you. Just enjoy the memories. Remember you will see him again one day. Love ya, Pat

Karen said...

Alisa,
Your Dad sounds like a wonderful man. Isn't it great how God gives us such sweet memories? My Dad will be gone 12 years on April 27. I always think of him especially this time of year - when the days get warmer and the trees start budding. I miss him everyday and wish he could know Brad and my girls. He will meet them one day! What a wonderful promise!
Love to you!
Karen